The Dow Jones Industrial Common shut at 24,206.86 on Tuesday with a loss of 390.fifty one points or -one.59%. The S&P five hundred shut at two,922.94 for a loss of thirty.ninety seven points or -one.05%. The Nasdaq Composite shut at nine,185.ten for a loss of 49.72 points or -.fifty four%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at thirty.fifty three for a get of one.23 points or four.20%.
Tuesday’s sector movers
U.S. stocks ended lessen Tuesday with a late drop major into the closing bell. Shares of Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA) shut down ten.forty one% soon after a report questioned the company’s Covid-19 initiatives.
Walmart described improved-than-envisioned outcomes with a nine cent non-GAAP earnings for each share defeat. Investors are observing retail studies this 7 days. Earnings on the calendar Tuesday integrated:
- Kohl’s (NYSE:KSS): Earnings of $two.43 billion reduced forty.six% yr over yr and defeat estimates by $280 million. A to start with-quarter GAAP loss of $three.fifty for each share skipped estimates by $one.04 and a non-GAAP loss of $three.20 skipped estimates by $one.44.
- Residence Depot (NYSE:Hd): Earnings of $28.26 billion greater 7.one% yr over yr and defeat estimates by $690 million. 1st-quarter GAAP earnings of $two.08 for each share skipped estimates by eighteen cents.
- Walmart (NYSE:WMT): Earnings of $134.sixty two billion greater eight.7% yr over yr and defeat estimates by $three.seventy one billion. 1st-quarter GAAP earnings of $one.forty for each share defeat estimates by 33 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $one.eighteen defeat estimates by nine cents.
On Cash Hill, the Treasury Secretary and Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell equally testified prior to Congress on the CARES Act. Both equally had been optimistic about the Act’s impacts. Also talked about was easing some of the investing terms for the Paycheck Defense Plan.
Economic studies affecting sector investing integrated the following:
- Setting up permits reduced 20.eight% in April to a seasonally altered annual level of one.074 million.
- Housing starts off reduced thirty.two% in April to a seasonally altered annual level of .891 million.
- The Treasury held auctions for 42-working day costs at a level of .one hundred and five%, 119-working day costs at a level of .140% and fifty two-7 days costs at a level of .160%.
In S&P five hundred, energy and financials led losses. Across the board, the following stocks led losses and gains:
In modest caps, the Russell 2000 shut at one,314.28 for a loss of 19.forty one points or -one.forty six%. The S&P 600 shut at 747.78 for a loss of fifteen.94 points or -two.09%. The Dow Jones U.S. Modest-Cap Development Index shut at nine,one hundred.fifty three for a loss of 132.eighty five points or -one.44%. The Dow Jones U.S. Modest-Cap Benefit Index shut at six,198.44 for a loss of 164.78 points or -two.59%.
Other noteworthy indexes
Other noteworthy index closes integrated the S&P four hundred Mid-Cap Index at one,652.sixty three for a loss of 21.43 points or -one.28% the S&P one hundred at one,344.ten for a loss of thirteen.78 points or -one.01% the Nasdaq one hundred at nine,298.fifty four for a loss of 33.38 points or -.36% the Russell 3000 at one,694.89 for a loss of eighteen.eighteen points or -one.06% the Russell one thousand at one,612.07 for a loss of sixteen.39 points or -one.01% the Wilshire 5000 at 29,615.42 for a loss of 316.fifteen points or -one.06% and the Dow Jones U.S. Find Dividend Index at 552.70 for a loss of ten.77 points or -one.ninety one%.
Not a Quality Member of GuruFocus? Indicator up for a free of charge 7-working day demo right here.
About the creator:
Julie Young is a financial author with extensive knowledge in the financial expert services field. She writes about investments, expenditure products, financial sector information and financial tendencies. Julie has a Grasp of Science in finance from Boston College and a Bachelor of Science in finance from the College of Arkansas.