The Dow Jones Industrial Ordinary closed at 27,081.36 on Tuesday with a reduction of 879.44 points or -3.15%. The S&P five hundred closed at 3,128.21 for a reduction of 97.68 points or -3.03. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 8,965.61 for a reduction of 255.sixty seven points or -two.77%. The VIX Volatility Index was better at 27.85 for a obtain of two.82 points or eleven.27%.
Tuesday’s sector movers
U.S. indexes continued to drop Tuesday, pushing losses for the calendar year further more adverse. Buyers fled equities for protected havens on growing coronavirus infections. The 10-calendar year U.S. Treasury hit a document low as price ranges climbed. The Dow Jones noted its third-worst one-working day decrease in historical past. In China, the range of infected persons was steady at 77,666. In South Korea, instances increased by 144 to 977 and in Italy, instances increased by ninety four to 323.
On the earnings calendar:
- House Depot (NYSE:Hd) noted income of $twenty five.78 billion, down two.7% calendar year in excess of calendar year and in line with estimates. Fourth-quarter GAAP earnings of $two.28 for every share beat estimates by seventeen cents.
- MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI) noted income of $323.7 million, down six.four% calendar year in excess of calendar year and lacking estimates by $5.36 million. A fourth-quarter GAAP earnings reduction of sixteen cents for every share missed estimates by 8 cents and non-GAAP earnings of 1 cents beat estimates by 3 cents.
- Other earnings releases Tuesday incorporated: Salesforce.com (NYSE:CRM), Macy’s (NYSE:M) and Virgin Galactic (NYSE:SPCE).
In other news:
- The Democrats will hold a different presidential debate in South Carolina.
- Bob Iger introduced he was leaving the CEO job at Disney (NYSE:DIS).
- The S&P/Case-Shiller House Selling price Index was unchanged in December and noted a calendar year-in excess of-calendar year enhance of two.9%.
- The FHFA Household Selling price Index increased .six% in December following an enhance of .3%
- The Meeting Board’s Buyer Self-confidence Index increased to one hundred thirty.7 in February from one hundred thirty.four.
- The Treasury held auctions for 52-7 days costs at a rate of 1.27% and two-calendar year notes at a rate of 1.188%.
In the S&P five hundred, strength, components and industrials led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Ordinary, the following stocks led losses:
In tiny caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,571.90 for a reduction of fifty six.21 points or -3.forty five%. The S&P 600 closed at 946.ninety two for a reduction of 33.thirteen points or -3.38%. The Dow Jones U.S. Tiny-Cap Advancement Index closed at 10,211.eighty three for a reduction of 357.34 points or -3.38%. The Dow Jones U.S. Tiny-Cap Benefit Index closed at 9,093.eighty for a reduction of 341.71 points or -3.sixty two%.
Other noteworthy indexes
Other noteworthy index closes incorporated the S&P four hundred Mid-Cap Index at 1,951.ninety four for a reduction of 70.sixty three points or -3.forty nine% the S&P one hundred at 1,398.12 for a reduction of forty two.20 points or -two.93% the Nasdaq one hundred at 8,834.86 for a reduction of 244.77 points or -two.70% the Russell 3000 at 1,834.fifty nine for a reduction of 58.forty one points or -3.09% the Russell a thousand at 1,733.27 for a reduction of fifty four.seventy three points or -3.06% the Wilshire 5000 at 32,029.47 for a reduction of 1,022.fifty three points or -3.09% and the Dow Jones U.S. Choose Dividend Index at 706.87 for a reduction of 23.87 points or -3.27%.
Not a Quality Member of GuruFocus? Indicator up for a totally free 7-working day demo below.
About the creator:
Julie Youthful is a money author with in depth knowledge in the money providers sector. She writes about investments, investment decision goods, money sector news and financial traits. Julie has a Grasp of Science in finance from Boston School and a Bachelor of Science in finance from the College of Arkansas.